In 1908, Francis Geoffrey Aldritt (b.
- 1849, Dublin, d. - 22 Jul 1913, Mountmellick, Laois, Ireland), of Maryborough, Queens' County, Ireland (today Portlaoise,
Co Laois, Eire) established his engineering works with the intention of building motor-cars. He was also interested in aviation
and about 1908 he started to build a monoplane. The engine was designed and built by Aldritt and his sons Frank, Louis and
Joe. In 1912, on The Great Heath of Maryborough, the plane, piloted by Frank, flew a few hundred yards in 1912 but was excessively
heavy and the project was shelved. After Aldritt died, the aircraft was transferred to the workshop rafters, where it remained
for 50 years. It is now preserved in the Filching Manor Museum, Polegate, Sussex.
|| Monoplane || || 1910 ||
|| 1S, 1E monoplane || 1 |
- British Aircraft Before The Great War,
Michael H. Goodall and Albert E. Tagg (Schiffer Publishing Ltd., 2001)
Total Aldritt Production 1